Visible View of M81 & M82
Creator: Panther Observatory
Image Source: http://panther-observatory.com/gallery/deepsky/doc/M81_M82_cass.htm
The two famous galaxies M 81 (left) and M 82 (right) in Ursa Major are situated 12 million light years away.
M 81 - Bode's face on galaxy shows tidal interaction from the only 150000 light years distant M 82, the Cigar galaxy is distorted by the gravitational interaction with M 81 and shows strong H-alpha streamers in direction of the rotation axis far out from the galactic plane.
Image Use Policy: Contact author for reproduction rights
- Image Type
- Object Name
- Messier 81 • M81 • Bode's Galaxy • NGC 3031 • Messier 82 • M82 • Cigar Galaxy • NGC 3034 • NGC 3077
- Subject - Local Universe
- Galaxy » Type » Spiral
- Galaxy » Type » Irregular
- Galaxy » Type » Interacting
- Galaxy » Grouping » Cluster
- Galaxy » Grouping » Multiple